A Pound Cake, as the name suggests, is made typically made with a pound of each butter, sugar, flour and eggs! This Chocolate Pound Cake is rich and decadent to please any chocolate lover! The easy peasy glaze takes to another level!
The reason of its over the top chocolate flavour is due to three reasons..
- Use of boiling water
- Addition of coffee
- Good quality cocoa powder
So this is how to make it!
For the cake
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
For the glaze
- 300 grams finely chopped dark chocolate
- 150 grams heavy whipping cream
For the cake
- In a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and set aside
- In another bowl take softened butter and sugar and mix well till it gets pale and creamy
- Add eggs one at a time and whisk for 2 mins after every addition
- Add vanilla extract to the milk and set aside
- Now mix the dry sifted ingredients in three batches into the egg mixture, after every addition add half of the milk mixture.
- Fold till no dry streaks of flour are visible
- In hot boiling water add coffee, pour it in the cake batter and fold immediately until combined
- Into an 8-9 inch loaf pan pour in the cake batter , prepare the pan first using butter and flour or parchment paper
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven @180 C for 30-35 mins, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 5 mins and then run a knife around the edges of the pan and invert the cake on a wire rack and let it cool down completely
In the meantime prepare glaze
- Put both ingredients in a microwave safe bowl, and heat for 30 seconds. Take it out, stir and heat again for 30 mins. Repeat the process till you get a smooth glaze.
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 10 mins or until thick enough to glaze the cake
- Put the cake on a serving platter and pour the glaze over the top, letting the glaze drip on the sides
- Slice and serve!!